Saturday, September 19, 2015

Seven Down!

Seven radiation treatments down.  Three more to go.  We are anxious to keep this ball rolling and head down the road.

Doug's radiation treatments are one minute, if that long.  We spend 40-90 minutes getting to the hospital.  Then another 40-90 minutes getting home.  He has not really had any side effects.  He still has his hair.  The doctor seemed a bit surprised at that.  I don't think she realizes how much hair is on that bowling ball on his shoulders.

Occasionally Doug has a "moment."  Just some pressure on the forehead.  He chills on the couch for these "moments" then is back in the game.  The doctor says this is normal  We prefer to think of these moments as cancer cells losing their grip and dying away while the new healthy cells abound with life in their place.

One disadvantage of radiation to the brain is Doug really shouldn't drive.  So I am driving.  No big deal unless you are a male species sitting in the passenger seat.  Men should never be allowed to sit there.  They should be gagged, blindfolded and sent to the rear of the vehicle.

Actually Doug has been an ideal passenger.  He doesn't seem to mind the back pocket marks on his hands.  He has only slapped his palms over his eyes a handful of times and muffled a scream once or twice.  We are coping.

As for me I am keeping busy.  The Cinderella Syndrome continues.  This week I have been on the roof not once, but twice.  Doug positioned the ladder for me.  I had my foot on the first rung when his mother came barreling out of the house.  "What are you going to do?"

"Your roof needs a good sweeping and I'm going up," I replied.

"Oh Lord!" she cried.  "I'm going in to cook!"

The door swung shut behind her.  I jumped up and down with joy.  Not only would I get some exercise sweeping, but there was sure to be some good chow to eat afterwards.  I wondered what it would be; a crispy stir-fry? A spicy mango-salsa chicken?  A colorful southwest pasta salad?  My stomach growled in anticipation.

Doug's mom has numerous large oak trees that shed sticks and acorns at the slightest whisper of a breeze. Her roof was not too large.  I figured this would be a fifteen minute job.  Then the strangest thing happened up on that roof.  It grew to Buckingham Palace proportions right before my eyes!

The next day a large green branch decided to plop on the roof.  Up I went again.  I could see many of her neighbors roofs had stick and acorn problems also.  Perhaps Doug and I should start a business here.  He positions the ladder (I can not seem to do this for whatever reason) and I sweep.

Inside I am taping her kitchen in preparation of ceiling painting.  A few years ago Doug wrote on her ceiling.  (It's a long story.)  Nicole arrives tonight.  Maybe I can enlist in her help.  "Poor old mother being slave-driven by the evil grandmother.  Daughter should feel sorry for me!"

Doug has met up with another school friend.  She is in the area visiting her parents and is also a patient at Mayo.  People come from all over to this world renowned hospital.  His friend traveled from New Mexico.

We enjoyed a supper with an old Navy friend and his family.  Their daughter was once in my preschool class.  Now she is old enough to drive and much taller than I am.  Why is it kids get older, but we don't?

The visitors continued with the arrival of Doug's cousin from South Carolina.  Doug missed his family reunion last year.  He has not seen this cousin in probably five years.  It is always nice to catch up and to have a distraction.

So we keep busy and wait for radiation to finish.  Thursday we meet with the Oncologist.  Hopefully he will have completed all the testing they are doing and we will have a chemo plan.  Then maybe, maybe, we can go home.

Doug has received many cards, prayers, and texts again this week.  Even one from someone we did not know, but attends church with my cousin.  We are humbled by all the thoughtfulness.  It is difficult to put into words how much this boosts our spirits and comforts our soul.  Thank you one and all.


Pr. 17.22-Being cheerful keeps you healthy.  It is slow death to be gloomy all the time.



*I really do like my mother-in-law.  Just don't let her know that.  It might lead to an enlarged head.  We can't have that.  And she is still letting me use her garbage disposal!

 winking.jpg

3 comments:

  1. We are keeping up with your blog, Angie. So glad you can be with family/friends! Love your sense of humor; it is a gift of God that can really help with trying times. Sending a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear from ya'll again, and that Doug isn't having bad side effects of the radiation. Thinking of both of you. Randy and Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pr. 17.22-Being cheerful keeps you healthy. It is slow death to be gloomy all the time. <3 <3 <3 AMEN!

    ReplyDelete