Saturday, August 29, 2015

Twisted Underwear







Candace was back in sunny San Diego.  Doug and I were off to see his Oncologist.  I had not met him yet and was anxious to do so.  We were to get the results from Doug's biopsy.

Forty minutes later the doctor sauntered into the examining room.  He didn't smile or blink an eye. Not that there was anything to smile about.

Yes, it was cancer.  Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  (I know those words.  I had one on my hand.)  The doctor briefly explained we would do radiation on the head followed by chemo to the torso.

Our family had been encouraging us to go to a larger facility, somewhere more renowned.  I asked the Oncologist why we might want to do this.

I must apologize to the doctor.  I didn't, really didn't, mean to get his underwear twisted into a knot! But I did.
#
We were quickly ushered across the hall to the Radiation Oncologist.  This doctor smiled without his face cracking.  I felt a tiny bit better.

The Radiation Oncologist talked with us for a better part of an hour.  He thoroughly explained things and answered questions.  Doug was scheduled for a MRI and a simulation of the radiation process.

The Oncologist's office was 50 minutes from our house.  We had time on the way home to mull over the visits.

"I didn't like the Oncologist."  I muttered to Doug.

"What was wrong with him?"

"He had shifty eyes.  And he hardly looked at us.  And he didn't really seem to care.  And his face got red and his arms tightened around his body when I suggested a more well known facility.  The Radiation Oncologist was caring and informative though."

We decided Doug should start with radiation and then find another Oncologist.  One whose underwear was smooth and not tied up.

Doug had his MRI and a mesh mask made for radiation.  I inquired if we could save the mask for Halloween.  I'm not sure my husband thought that was as amusing as I did.

The Radiation Oncologist had given us books to read on the process and side effects.  I wasn't interested in reading them.  Way too depressing.  Doug flopped one down in front of me with a strong suggestion I read it.

Five pages into the book I was astonished.  This was not the information the Radiation Oncologist had told us.  I have been known to misunderstand numerous things before.  I searched Doug out and asked him what he had heard.

I was not loony-toon after all.  Doug had heard the same words I had.  I then consulted the all knowing internet.  It was on the same page as the book.

"Doug, maybe we need new doctors.," I cautiously suggested to Doug.

Doug was saved from answering by a duck quacking.  Not really a duck, that's my cell phone ring tone.  It freaks people out!
#
A blast from the past assaulted my ears.  My sister had been relating our saga to a doctor I worked for eons ago.  He called to say he would certainly suggest a facility such as MD Anderson in Houston.  We could have our doctor call and ask for an expatiated appointment.

That was the turning point.  We made preparations to have medical records transferred to MD Anderson.  The facility had 48 hours to get back to us.

Once again we wait...


Pr. 18.10-The Lord is like a strong tower, where the righteous can go and be safe.  GNB




No comments:

Post a Comment